MODERATOR - Please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonerowfarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Cheshire, MA
I was in an office the other day and a girl mentioned that she was looking to buy the house adjacent to mine. She said she looked at it Fri. nite and took her dog.

The dog got out, she couldn't get it back no matter what she enticed and he ran all around the road and field (mine).

With a smile, kind of, I told her not to buy the house, cause if her dog comes onto my property I'll shoot it.

"But you love animals" she said,

"Yes, I do, but I love my animals more than yours."

In a 60 second conversation she, in essence told me that
1) She had a dog she doesn't leash.
2) The dog is not trained.
3) She has no control over the dog.

By the way, it's a husky and very large.

Flash forward four days and I go back into the office today. She proceeds to make multiple snarky comments about karma and how horrible I am, etc. Being that it's an office, and her boss is my client, I held my tongue and tone.

So, I bow to the experts with far more wisdom than me. Do I owe her an apology or explanation. I have goats and chickens, prime targets for any dog, much less a Husky. My animals are fenced in, and the hens only free range when I'm here because of the hawks. We are currently trying to deal with a raccoon living in the barn who killed an 18 week old mille fluer on Monday and for which I am currently getting rabies shots for (long story - different post).

Last edited:
IMO you do not owe her an apology but I would certainly explain to her the damage dogs can do when they are allowed to run loose. A little graphic detail will help drive the point home. I would also tell her that in the country any land owner has the right to shoot her dog if it shows up on their property and causes damages. I'm sure she would feel the same if a stray animal came to her property and attacked or killed her dog. We all love our animals but that does not mean we will stand idly by and allow another to destroy ours.

Heck no I would not give her an apology.....your property....shoot the darn dog....I have been nice one to many times to neighbors in the past.....after having geese and sheep attacked, and myself (requriing DR. visits) I feel no sympothy for any animals coming on our property.....I know I love and care for my dogs as well, but I completely understand at teh same time if they were on someone else's property and we shot....It's not the neighbors fault my dog was over there...It was mine...As is it's not my fault if there dog was at my place it's theres....

If she is dumb enough to have a large dog with a strong prey drive and not train and properly restrain it and not understand that others may have to shoot it to protect their animals, she is too dumb to listen to logic. After all, he's a great dog and would never hurt anything thing. He would just lick you to death. Idiots with uncontrollable dogs always say those 2 things and you can't change their mind.

Apology..no! Explanation, I would make it clear that your animals mean way too much to lose them to a wandering dog that belongs elsewhere. If she continues to be ugly at work...let her. Don't let the rage in others dim the light in you.

Quote:
Oh my gosh..... you pegged it. That's exactly what she said. He's a great dog, he would never hurt anything. I explained that any dog, mine included would decimate my hens if given half a chance and MY little guys are pomerian, 2-shiztus' and a spaniel-shiztu cross.

You did get quite the chuckle out of me cause she said those exact things on Monday.
lol.png

Not out of line, certainly, to inform her of the dangers of letting her dog run loose....I know some city folks move into the country so that they can "let their dogs run"...like its a free-for-all in the country for everyone's animals.

But....maybe she felt it was a threat to her animal that wasn't well grounded unless you explained thoroughly as to why you would shoot the dog. I know its hard to believe..but there are many folks who just don't think! Maybe it hadn't occured to her that her unruly, large "baby" could wreak havoc on someone else's animals and its too late to say sorry when its over.

She doesn't sound too bright or mature, so maybe needed it spelled out more clearly and slowly!
wink.png

Anyway....maybe its a good thing that she is offended, as she may not want to live next to the woman who loves animals but will still shoot one!
lol.png
I'm with you on that one, BTW!

Last edited:
I absolutely would not apologize. I would however avoid the subject in the office. Work and home separate. Besides, you are right! ALL animal owners need to be responsible. In CA we have leash laws that are usually enforced... Good luck

Huskys and Malamutes have an EXTREMELY strong prey drive. It would be difficult, not to say impossible, to prevent this critter from attacking your livestock. If you get an opportunity, and feel like doing so, point out to her that you did her a favor. She wouldn't much like the bill she would get from you for replacing the livestock her dog killed. And she needs to keep that in mind wherever she decides to settle that she is financially and legally responsible for the damage her dog causes. BTW, no matter how difficult she makes thaings at work, that is NOTHING compared to what it would be like to have that irresponsible idiot living next door to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom