MODERATOR - Please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you 100% but I would have worded it differently. Smiling/half-smiling and saying you'll shoot an animal would scream "SOCIOPATH" to me immediately.

I agree that your sentiment was right on, and that there is no need to apologize. However, your approach probably wasn't the best. She was just casually talking to you and, seemingly, out of nowhere, you say you're going to shoot her dog. That seems a bit harsh and sudden.

Having two big dogs with strong prey drives myself, along with a flock of chickens of my own, and neighbors with sheep and baby lambs, I fully understand the implications of the situation. I understand why that was your thought. A dog like that would have a field day with your livestock and possibly your dogs too. My dogs would so happily massacre my chickens or my neighbors' sheep, it's not even funny. So, I fenced in a full acre of our property for just the dogs - 6 foot chainlink, sunken 6 to 12 inches into the ground so they can't dig under it. That way, everyone is safe.

But way too many people don't understand things like that. Heck, my neighbors with the sheep are convinced that my dogs would be FRIENDS with the sheep if they ever got a chance to meet. We've tried to tell them otherwise and think we're silly. Many people think of dogs as goofy, lovable companions that couldn't hurt a fly, instead of the domesticated top predators that they are. Sure, plenty of dogs get along well with prey animals. We had a 140 lb rottweiler that loved every animal she met and didn't have a killer bone in her body, though you'd never know it to look at her.

My point is - this girl with the husky probably felt attacked for "no reason" because she never has even had a thought like that about her dog. So, now she's mad and hurt and probably still thinks you're wrong, and maybe a little scary and mean. If had been in that situation, I think I would have tried a slightly gentler tact - "Well, if you buy that house, it sure is going to be expensive to build a securely-fenced yard for your dog. If he runs around uncontrolled, he will be a threat to livestock and could get in real trouble, or even hurt or killed, so it will be important for him to be fenced in at all times."

She still might have gotten mad, but maybe it would have been less shocking to her and made her think a bit, is all.

Last edited:
totally agree with Cassie - husky dogs are a very primitive breed (very strong prey drive) and they are smart. she can be snarky all she wants and move to where ever she wants - just hopefully not next to you!

and to lisahaschickenss point... my neighbors have 3 out of control dogs they just let roam around. they think it would be GREAT to have our dogs go over there so THEY can roam around too. i looked at them like they had lobsters growing out of their ears - so FIVE large male dogs running around the countryside would be a good idea? are you out of your mind?

i taught them quickly to keep their dogs off my property and we fenced everyone in.

dont ever assume everyone with a big dog has control over them. wowza.

Why not print some pics of the damage done to chickens by dogs and give them to her. Then kindly explain SSS, smile, tell her to have a good day and walk away.

Last edited:
"With a smile, kind of, I told her not to buy the house, cause if her dog comes onto my property I'll shoot it."

No apology needed.

Last edited:
Back to the point, should you have said anything, that horse is out of the barn. Since she pays your boss, just be quiet and never mention it again - to HER. If your boss - the guy who PAYS YOU - wants an explanation, then you can go into a rant. But when the idiot has the $$$, you've just got to zip your lip.

Perhaps you should make snarky comments about owners who don't control their animals.... but then that's just me.

On the bright side perhaps she won't move next to you now!

I wouldn't have said that, but it's because I'm a coward, LOL! It's probably a good thing that you "offended" her, and she can get used to the idea that her poor baby can't run wild & free and do whatever it pleases.
What I did for myself was to install one of those in ground fence systems with a shock collar. I didn't put it on my dogs, though. I asked my neighbor if I could put the collar on his dog to avoid any more costly damages (the dog has already killed four of my chickens, attacked my dogs on their own property and has become a downright nusiance. Oh how many times I've been tempted to put a bullet in the dog...) that I would hold him accountable for. He wants his dog to run free, and I have no problem with that. Until the dog kills my chickens. So anyways, now that the shock collar is on the neighbor's dog, my property is dog free (except for my own dogs) and my neighbor doesn't seem to care about the collar, in fact our relationship is alot stronger because now he doesn't have to worry about me knocking on his front door with a dead chicken in my hand, demanding he leash his dog. I'm sure he thought I was crazy, but it definetly drove the point home. He apologized and paid for the chickens, but that doesn't bring them back, and it doesn't absolve him of the responsibility to keep his dog off my property. He's probably surprised I haven't killed his dog yet.
But that would be bad, I can see the headlines now: DOG TRAINER KILLS DOG
Oh boy...

Edited for spelling and clarity

Last edited:
Quote:
ok let me start by saying i dont want to ruffle any feathers but please dont lump all husky's and malamutes into the same pot! I had a great dog her name was Tala she died in dec 2008 she was great with my chickens, my ferrets, my cats, my rabbit, ect...ooo yeah and the kids too!..lol..

Maybe the poster was not clear with the initial post but it did not say she LET the dog out...the dog escaped.. mistakes can happen even to be most responsible pet owners we hear it all the time with post on here "OMG Fifi just ate my chicken".

I dont think you owe her an apology but I do think you were out of line. her boss is your client...you are mixing business with your personal life. but thats IMO..

R.I.P Baby girl Tala
13904_dsc02611.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom