Modern Technology in the Chicken Coop

Joseph K

Hatching
Jan 25, 2020
Hi: : My name is Joe from cold Massachusetts. I have 6 Buff Orpington hens I got August 7th. They are 24 weeks old and inspite of very cold Massachusetts winters 5 of my 6 hens are laying eggs daily. The weather has gone down to as low as 4 degrees outside with heavy winds.
I purchased of $ 10.00 an Indoor Outdoor Thermometer. The battery operated temp unit I have hanging under the 2 X 4 Roost board near the
ceiling of the coop where the Hens nestle altogether to keep warm. I can monitor the inside temperature within the Coop from inside my house.
If the temp inside the Coop goes below 15 degrees I bring out the safe Cozy Coop Radiant Heater and plug it in for the night it has 2 settings.
Modern Updated Technology for the Chicken Coop. For Christmas my Daughter and Son in law hooked up a security Camera in my coop
that runs on WiFi. To turn the camera on to activate I use my smart phone or Computer. The Camera needs to be plugged into an H.D extension Cord. I have the camera focused on the nesting boxes to be able to see when the eggs are laid so I can go gather them before the eggs freeze.
I have been as far away as 15 miles from the coop and by using my smart phone I can activate the camera to check on the hens. My hens have been doing great this cold weather. Technology to keep the hens safe, an Indoor /Outdoor thermometer and guess what a Security Camera inside my Chicken Coop my new Christmas present and I love it.
Joe K From Cold Massachusetts

Hi: : My name is Joe from cold Massachusetts. I have 6 Buff Orpington hens I got August 7th. They are 24 weeks old and inspite of very cold Massachusetts winters 5 of my 6 hens are laying eggs daily. The weather has gone down to as low as 4 degrees outside with heavy winds.
I purchased of $ 10.00 an Indoor Outdoor Thermometer. The battery operated temp unit I have hanging under the 2 X 4 Roost board near the
ceiling of the coop where the Hens nestle altogether to keep warm. I can monitor the inside temperature within the Coop from inside my house.
If the temp inside the Coop goes below 15 degrees I bring out the safe Cozy Coop Radiant Heater and plug it in for the night it has 2 settings.
Modern Updated Technology for the Chicken Coop. For Christmas my Daughter and Son in law hooked up a security Camera in my coop
that runs on WiFi. To turn the camera on to activate I use my smart phone or Computer. The Camera needs to be plugged into an H.D extension Cord. I have the camera focused on the nesting boxes to be able to see when the eggs are laid so I can go gather them before the eggs freeze.
I have been as far away as 15 miles from the coop and by using my smart phone I can activate the camera to check on the hens. My hens have been doing great this cold weather. Technology to keep the hens safe, an Indoor /Outdoor thermometer and guess what a Security Camera inside my Chicken Coop my new Christmas present and I love it.
Joe K From Cold Massachusetts
Add one more piece of (low tech) equipment to your arsenal: seedling heat mats under your nest box material. You won't have to worry about frozen eggs any longer. Plug them into a thermocube.
Tonya T from cold NY

Your smart phone won't do that for you? :lol:

Had the remote temp sensors for a few years, they died and I gave it up.
I would love to have coop cams......but no techy stuff here...no signals and can't afford the gear needed anyway.

Welcome to BYC! @Joseph K

Might want to start an introduction thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/post-thread
You'll get lots of Welcomes and some good info on using the forum.

Welcome to BYC.

electric in the coop is great. I’ve got a light on an outdoor timer for the fall/winter - provides light in the morning to extends their day. I’ve got a heat lamp plugged into a thermostat so it turns on if the coop temps are below 15F, and there is another plug port for cooling if needed- I could plug in a ventilation fan for warm weather if I chose to do that. We also have a heated base for our water. An additional outlet is in the coop in case we decide to add an electric fence. Occasionally think about adding cameras, but haven’t done so yet. My biggest curiosity would be seeing what visits the area at night!

Back
Top Bottom