Moderns with cold legs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gway2008, Dec 7, 2009.

1. gway2008

gway2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Ok, so I know this may sound stupid but I am honestly worried about my Modern Game bantams legs... I have a little Wheaten roo and a Lemon Blue hen and they both have the Very long legs characteristic of the breed. Well when I pick them up their legs are freezing cold! I'm thinking I should make leg warmers for them, lol... [​IMG]
    Any other suggestions? They have a nest but I only see them bed down in it at night. they are 9 months old now?

Edited because I can't spell this morning to save my life, lol

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I have not assessed my birds that well to tell the truth. I would think that if your coop is dry and has a lot of litter and a good roost with even more litter, that they should be fine. I don't let my birds use the nest at night. Some of them try, but I make them go in the roost. It has proven to be a hard habit to break. I have most of them trained, but still have about 5 that insist on using the last nest, near the roosting room, so my nightly chore of picking up the chickens are still in progress.
    I am also concerned about wintering my chickens and I am thinking on trying the deep litter method. I'm not worried about day time temps. If they are content to free-range about and look good, thats fine with me. I just don't want all their energy going into keeping warm if it should get excessively cold. But I don't have your breed.
    Maybe you can have a good hard look at your coop and decide if it needs any improvements. Perhaps a stronger wall to the north, but keep a lot of ventilation for drying purposes.

3. gway2008

gway2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks for the post. My coop is inside my barn and there is not a draft at all in there. I just worry because their legs get so cold. Moderns are almost all leg, lol. I may just put more hay down for them. The nest that I allow them to sleep in is not the same one for laying eggs. It is actually a large round tin that I filled with hay so they could snuggle down in it to keep warm. Their laying nest is seperate and has shavings with some golf balls. The little hen has not started to lay yet and I don't expect her to start till spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by