Modifying Deer Blind for coop

bizybirdie

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2021
SC
I've been slowly increasing flock size, and am needing a larger coop. I don't really have any way to personally pick up lumber, and unless you can select pieces yourselves these days, you really get a lot of crap lumber when you have store pick & deliver for you. I'm also not happy with the cheap quality & high cost of China coops from places like Tractor Supply. SO, in my searching, I've come across some cedar Deer Blinds, made of 3/4" cedar planks, that consist of only 6 pieces: 4 walls, a floor and a roof, that can be delivered to my home for assembly here. They will need modified some - mesh over windows, roosts & nest box & automatic door added & possibly some high vents, but to me they look like they have potential, and are WAY sturdier than any China coop. If anyone would have any other modification suggestions, I'd appreciate the input. I'm a pretty handy senior lady, but still looking for a quick, easy & sturdy coop solution. Video below shows assembly, they come in either 5' X 5' or 5' X 6' & just over 6' high.

Last edited:
Looks like the framing is 2x2 so not the strongest stuff or straightest. The roof looks totally flat so snow/rain won't drain off well. That roof also has no overhang which is needed for up high ventilation.

The cedar boards look like fence pickets to me. They MIGHT be thicker but I can't tell from the video.

Depending on just how handy you are and if you can get a second set of hands to help building one isn't terribly hard. We here on BYC are nutty about helping so you would certainly get help by many members if you need it.

Another option might be doing a hoop coop. They are simple to build and take very little lumber.

Have you looked through the coop pages here? https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

Oh and a 4x8 coop makes better use of the dimensional lumber which means less waste if you are building one.

In your climate an open air coop may be the way to go.

I'd love to build from scratch, but getting materials is the problem. I've searched everywhere, and can't find anyone that delivers hog panels. These have a slightly sloped corrugated metal roof. That video shows older shingle version. There is slight over-hang, and side/roof/floor boards are all 3/4".

I'd love to build from scratch, but getting materials is the problem. I've searched everywhere, and can't find anyone that delivers hog panels. These have a slightly sloped corrugated metal roof. That video shows older shingle version. There is slight over-hang, and side/roof/floor boards are all 3/4".
I know my home Depot or Lowe's will let you pick out your lumber, and they will put you on the delivery schedule. Or, you can rent a truck from HD for little money.

It's a decent starting point if you choose to go that way.

To add ventilation and still protect from rain an awning over the vents can be added without to much trouble I think.

It looks pretty lightweight. You may consider ways to anchor it to the ground.

I am certainly not against the deer blind coop at all. Just tossing out things to think about.

Weighs 500 lbs, so not super light, but some anchoring definitely a good idea. I was thinking awnings over vents would probably be a pretty easy fix too.

I didn't know HD would let you hand pick boards to be delivered! I thought they picked for you. I'll have to check with local HD here.

Back
Top Bottom