Modifying or Adjusting Your Feed...

IRChicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
There are times when you need to add to the chickens feed diet, like for winter, for disease or for other health reasons.
Can the diet be modified to improve egg laying or is this a chicken limitation?
For instance, a diet of 1 part each of scratch, laying crumble, and turkey grow has been rumoured to increase egg laying.
Personally I think it amazing any chicken can produce 300 eggs a year, 500 would be miraculous. Can it be done?

While I'm sure some increase protein would help with laying, I don't believe you are ever going to get more than one egg a day regular so the world record is 364 eggs in 365 days. autralourpe

The genetics of the chicken, at this point, do not support more than 330 eggs per year. I'd kinda be concerned about tweaking the genetics to achieve more laying than that. The feed formula you "heard" about is mythical. The best ration for a layer would include little, if any, scratch. It is typically 8% protein and severely dilute whatever could be achieved by adding higher protein levels of turkey feed. Buy a quality layer formula for best egg production. Allowing pasturing oft times improves the quality of the egg, but isn't likely to up production.

Back
Top Bottom