Modifying Prefab Coop - would love your input!

Bek

Chirping
Jul 21, 2017
Indianapolis, Indiana
Was gifted this coop, along with 5 Production red hens (just over a year old)...It's. Too. Small!

Need to make modifications but would love feedback from the seasoned folk as my goal is to still have a useable structure for my girls. If it does collapse....well, I guess we're having a big ol chicken dinner ;) bc I'm under direct orders from the boss man to make this work for now until we move to larger property (hopefully spring of '18). But I'm already SO in love with my girls, I really hope I can pull this off.

So here's the prefab (but not so fab) coop that I'm working with
IMG_20170823_073803658.jpg
(There's the "attic door" to the right that I refer to later)
IMG_20170823_073825051.jpg
((Pardon the painters tarp that's haphazardly tucked under the roofing; if I don't cover during a good storm, it's like pine shaving soup in there...hence the importance of making my modifications ASAP))

Plans are to enclose the existing run and remove the dividing wall ((with a jigsaw??)) to create a 3'x6' coop. I constructed a base for the coop to sit atop; the base will be enclosed to serve as the fixed run. Will need to cut out and construct a floor door to access bsmt run ((I also have a portable run that will be permanently attached to the fixed run to provide more room and less work for me come winter.))

Here's the base: IMG_20170823_083329931.jpg
Once I have a better all around plan, I will cover the base with hardware cloth, and possibly some clear polycarbonate panels for more of a weather barrier on the most effected sides.

Suggestions on how to cover the hardware cloth on existing run...
- wood: would it be too heavy? Don't want to compromise existing structure.
- polycarbonate panels: would allow more light in, and lighter than wood
- can whatever material used be affixed so I can prop open during warmer months or constructed in a fashion that allows for much needed venting? Aside from a few cracks, there is only one 3"x10"(ish) vent, located under what I call the attic door (see 1st pic). Very interested in this option bc it'd be a double whammy - enclosing & venting

I plan to leave the existing hardware cloth in place because it seems like an engineering nightmare (for me, at least) and feel that messing too much with the overall structure could land my girls in the pot.

If I'm successful in removing the dividing wall (w cut-out door), I will be able to reinforce the structure with one roosting bar running that 3' span where the wall was, as well as one running the entire 6' length of the coop.

Okay...I think I've vomited enough out there for someone to start shoveling knowledge from experience my way. I have my coffee, so bring it on BYC! :caf:fl

- wood: would it be too heavy? Don't want to compromise existing structure.
- polycarbonate panels: would allow more light in, and lighter than wood
i wouldn't be covering the walls with polycarbonate, i don't think it would breathe well enough, you could have issues with condensation. i'd consider marine grade plywood. the thin stuff shouldn't be too heavy, but you really need to find out what it weighs and figure it out. you could just go up to (say) 6-8 inches below the top of the wall under the roof and you'd have ventilation.
even standard ply would probably last you until you move and get a bigger house for the girls.

Back
Top Bottom