MODS LOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feed your rabbit a rabbit pellet and good hay from time to time you should never have to worm a rabbit and if you are useing ivermac... to worm your rabbit your doing more harm than good..

How does a good diet keep rabbits free from internal or external parasites? Being properly fed is a good thing, but I don't see how that affects parasite load.

Quote:
Well look at it this way how do they get the parasites? Most parasites you get from the ground so if you don't feed all the greens ( grass, lettuce, etc.) and you don't let the rabbit run in the yard your internal parasites will be little to none... As far as ear mites I only had one rabbit that had ear mites took care of that with a little sweet oil in the ear and I never seen of a rabbit getting lice, fleas, or mites that was taken care of....
There are a lot of other rabbit breders that think the same was and we all have healthy rabbits and do well at the shows...

Parasites can also be transferred by flies, fleas, picked up at shows...

It does them no harm to worm them in my experience, and we do pretty well at the shows, too.

well this is NOT a debate on worming/vaxing my rabbits

Pookie has been fed grass from the organic area of my garden
we just got our new doe this week
we plan to show them this fall thus exposing them to more things

so they will be done.

I have not given him his shot yet. he is cranky we got the doe (same room different cages) and biting

my rabbits are on a great show food, small percent of rolled oats, and timothy hay, plus some veggies FYI

thanks for the info
smile.png

he will be held down and given his meds soon and the doe gets her's in 6 wks

MODS LOCK PLEASE

Couldn't you also get parasites in hay if they could get if from grass, since hay is dried grass?

I don't see the reason for having the tread locked, it's a great discussion and I know I'm learning something from it. It's just not something I had ever heard of or thought about.

No one was pressuring you though, it was just general chatter about what others did.
You're going to do what you think is right for your animals, anyone here will tell you that.
I will start a new thread about using vaccines for rabbits...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom