11 Years
Dec 23, 2008
Central Texas
I have to give Pookie his ivermac (sp) shot

how do I do it?
The breeder measured it up and it is ready to go in a syringe
she said I can inject or got by mouth but he will hate it that way

Last edited:
I gave mine just under the skin, on his neck. There's a lot of skin there to get a hold of
smile.png
But anywhere under the skin will be fine.

my breeder is a future vet
smile.png
so that may tell you why she vax's for worms/parasites. this is also for earmites, fur mites and anything else nasty

ok, that is what I thought. just making sure the shot was in the skin not muscle

Yep, if you're giving it as a shot do it Sub-Q. I make a little tent out of the skin on the back of the neck/shoulder and jab it in. Or used to. I just put it on the skin now, like the flea preventative you use on dogs and cats, right between the shoulders.

We do ours about twice a year.

she said every 6 wks

so how much do I give the shots?
they are indoor buns completely

Pookie was fed grass for a bit but not lately cause I am mowing more and such

Giving rabbits shots
lau.gif

I have never give rabbits shots... I have had rabbits for 20 years and had Grand Champion show rabbits never gave a shot and most breeders of show rabbits dont give shots...
Being a future vet dosent tell me any thing...

Quote:
Well I don't think it's anything to be snippy about or laughable but I was just curious because I had never heard of rabbits being vaccinated for anything. I currently do not give my rabbits any shots, but I wonder if I should be...

What are you vaxing for?

I just do it orally, to me its just easier and less traumatic and less of a risk for infection. I use the 1% injectable and 1/10 cc per pound of bunny, you have to draw it up with the needle then take it off and syringe into the mouth never had an issue of them spitting it out as long as I get it far enough back, some actually like the taste so do not like it. I do it every 6 months if they are never taken anywhere every 3 months if they go to shows and are exposed to other bunnies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom