Moisture and odor control

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crystal195655, Jan 21, 2012.

1. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    Just finished getting ready for the chicks...now i need some advice on which you prefer to control moisture and odor in your coop.
    DE, Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry? Please tell me which you prefer and why? What are the benefits and how well does it work?
    Thanks so much, all advice is welcome

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I've never hear of DE for moisture/odor... I use it for lice and mite prevention. I'm operating out of tractors at the moment so I can't say I'm practiced at coop care. But we are starting to build our coop today! :D

3. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I use both DE AND Sweet Pdz. May be overkill but I find the combo works great [​IMG]

Trish

4. Not exactly answering your question directly.....but my answer is sand as bedding and proper ventilation of coop. Even before I switched to sand, I never had a problem. Search coop ventilation here on BYC. There is a very good article written by someone with an enormous amount of experience (just dont have the link handy)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    I use sand and sweet PDZ, seems to work just fine. I just mix a few scoops of sweet pdz in with the sand every few/couple weeks (depends on the time of year, find I'm doing it less in the winter cause the frozen poops are less stinky)

But have to admit I've had chickens for less than a year and haven't try DE 'cause I gave up trying to find it :)

6. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I use PDZ and DE together in my horse stalls and that's been the best combo. PDZ seems to be the best for odor control but doesn't absorb as well as others. Adding the DE has made a big difference.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I use plastic boot trays under the roosts to remove all of the night time droppings every morning. I just take the trays over to the composter, dump/scrape out the droppings, hose off the trays, and replace them in the coop. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

There is no accumulation of chicken manure in the coop; hence no odor and moisture problem.

8. Summer Rose

Summer Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Could you please tell me what PDZ and DE are? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by