Moisture Dripping From Ceiling

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
When I went to let the chickens out this morning, there was water dripping from the ceiling. I assume that means I need to add more ventilation to the coop? There’s been a few nights it’s been down in the teens but no frozen combs yet, however, their water did.

When I went to let the chickens out this morning, there was water dripping from the ceiling. I assume that means I need to add more ventilation to the coop? There’s been a few nights it’s been down in the teens but no frozen combs yet, however, their water did.
Yep, more ventilation, preferably up high. Try to soak up any water that's still there. Pics of your setup?

Can you share a few pictures of your coop? dimensions and any description. That would be helpful. Thanks

Yep, more ventilation, preferably up high. Try to soak up any water that's still there. Pics of your setup?
AAD384FB-15B1-4EA3-A34B-DE97FABC7613.jpeg

The entire lower wall has ventilation but the higher wall where the roost is up against is attached to a barn. It was all built by the previous owner of the property. I’m not even sure how to go about adding ventilation. It also has a tack room attached to the coop ( technically one room, but the coop is sectioned off ) . The coop area is 15x12 but I’m not sure about the tack room part, though it’s pretty much the same size.

With all those gaps between the boards there *ought* to be enough ventilation.

Is it a metal roof?

It's often necessary to insulate a metal roof to prevent condensation even when ventilation is otherwise adequate.
Yeah, it’s a metal roof. Also, I have tarp up on the outside of the wall the nesting boxes are against to keep out drafts because that’s the side the wind hits. Do you think I should take it down? I only recently noticed the moisture even though the tarp has been up since the beginning of November. The weather has been really weird lately. Up in the 50s then down in the 30s or 20s the next day

Yeah, it’s a metal roof. Also, I have tarp up on the outside of the wall the nesting boxes are against to keep out drafts because that’s the side the wind hits. Do you think I should take it down? I only recently noticed the moisture even though the tarp has been up since the beginning of November. The weather has been really weird lately. Up in the 50s then down in the 30s or 20s the next day

Yep, warm moist air from the chickens is condensing at the thermal gradient - the metal roof partitioning inside from outside. It **should** bead up then run down the inside of the roof. till it hits something. Do the ridges of the roof run parallel to the rafters, or perpendicular??? (or asked another way, is the roof attached to purlins which are secured to the top of the rafters?) Basically, I'm trying to ask what the water is hitting that causes it to drip.

and do you have a scrap piece of tyvek/house wrap handy?? A temp fix may be to hammer (use roofing nails, big heads on those) up a sheet of house wrap tot he bottom of your rafters. It allows moisture vapor thru, but not water droplets - so roof condensation will drip and collect on the wrap. If you leave it a bit loose, it will form channels and drain towards the bottom, where you can collect it with a gutter (even made from another piece of tyvek) or similar and direct it to a bucket for collection.

Yep, warm moist air from the chickens is condensing at the thermal gradient - the metal roof partitioning inside from outside. It **should** bead up then run down the inside of the roof. till it hits something. Do the ridges of the roof run parallel to the rafters, or perpendicular??? (or asked another way, is the roof attached to purlins which are secured to the top of the rafters?) Basically, I'm trying to ask what the water is hitting that causes it to drip.

and do you have a scrap piece of tyvek/house wrap handy??
The ridges on the roof run parallel to the rafters and then there’s boards that run perpendicular to them.
4D2130E5-0520-4CEA-849A-C6D15C53E9AD.jpeg

and, no, I don’t have any house wrap handy.

I probably wouldn’t change anything right now... just keep an eye on it and make sure it’s not a constant thing or that it’s not dripping back down on them, and then address it later if it is.

I’ve kept chickens in a lean-to coop like that with the East and west ends both wide open other than wire and the birds were fine.

if you have sustained below freezing temperatures... meaning it gets below freezing and stays below for several days it’s a bigger concern... but in my area that’s rare.

my current coop is “drafty“ by the standards of many people, but the birds do fine.

Back
Top Bottom