Moisture in dry side of coop

William825

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2022
So I have 2 coops built and need to move my quail to in about 2 weeks. It just started raining and I noticed some moisture getting in the dry side of the coops. I tried caulking everything I could around the outside and I'm not sure how the water is getting in. Is this too wet? It potentially could get a little better if it rains for longer...

Attachments

• 691602407.jpg
    691602407.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 9E0C0332-.jpg
    9E0C0332-.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 2
I have a building that does that. In my case, I suspect rain is hitting the outside wall and running down to the sill plate or bottom board and seeping inside. Perhaps some kind of awning or other barrier to prevent rain from running down to the base of the wall outside. Depending on how it is built, a sustained rain could also be splashing up under the siding.

That floor is too wet. When covered with bedding, it won't dry. Along with other problems associated with moisture, like mold - the surest way to cause a coccidia outbreak in birds is to keep wet bedding.

Is your coop off the ground?
If it's on the ground & it's been raining it's also possible with ground saturated and wicking to the top. I've had that issue in my coop (chickens) ... One corner would always get mushy. Horse Pellets used for the stalls worked, in WalMart it's sold as Animal Bedding. Like compressed saw dust, prior to the our heavy rains, I'd dig down about 6" and fill with the pellets. Helped alot, the girls would move it around, I'd add more if needed.

Not at home ATM, but this is it from the outside

Attachments

• IMG_3350.jpg
    IMG_3350.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom