Moisture in the coop

update. Drilled 4 1” holes and problem solved. Found out when I had my husband put hardware cloth up around the openings of the coop he put roll in insulation in. So all of the ventilation was covered. He has never owned chickens.

I have had chickens all of my life in south east Texas. I now live in upstate New York. This will be our first year here with chickens. We are having a moisture issue in our coop. We have an exhaust fan that I don’t have turned on but it allows airflow. We hadn’t had a problem with moisture until now. If I put 4 or 5 one inch vent holes on the opposite wall of my exhaust fan will that help? Should I put a dehumidifier in? I have to keep the water in their coop until spring. we have to redo the run fence. We had a tree fall on the run and unfortunately the ground is to frozen to easily dig holes for the new fence. Way to many predators to let them free range.
I have had chickens all of my life in south east Texas. I now live in upstate New York. This will be our first year here with chickens. We are having a moisture issue in our coop. We have an exhaust fan that I don’t have turned on but it allows airflow. We hadn’t had a problem with moisture until now. If I put 4 or 5 one inch vent holes on the opposite wall of my exhaust fan will that help? Should I put a dehumidifier in? I have to keep the water in their coop until spring. we have to redo the run fence. We had a tree fall on the run and unfortunately the ground is to frozen to easily dig holes for the new fence. Way to many predators to let them free range.

Some pics during the day, inside and outside coop, would be helpful.
I figured it out. My husband put insulation in the eaves before he put the hardware cloth up. I didn’t know he did it. So basically only ventilation was the exhaust fan. I drilled holes on the opposite side that night and it fixed the problem. He is a city boy and I wasn’t outside when he was doing that part.

Back
Top Bottom