Moisturizers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Stacykins, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    The wintery season that most of us are enjoying right now also bring dry skin issues for a lot of us. Cold, dry air outside, plus heated dry air inside definitely dries the skin! I am just curious what moisturizers everyone uses?

My 'light' moisturizer is a homemade beeswax salve with olive oil and jojoba oil, a little goes a long way. My 'heavy hitter' is one a lot of farmers are familiar with, bag balm! I slather some on at night and it feels so good, despite not smelling so good!

2. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Gold Bond Healing formula. I use it year round especially on my feet because I go bare foot or with just flip-flops so much in the warmer months. With chores, my feet tend to get wetdrywetdry. In the winter, I put it on my feet before socks and it keeps them feeling great. I use what's leftover on my hands to moisturize hands and elbows. Love it.

Also, I've always used baby oil while I'm still wet from the shower. Put it on, then towel dry. Helps tremendously and super soft skin [​IMG]

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    As far as the normal over the counter lotions, I like Aveeno and the fragrance free stuff like Eucerin. I find that if I use bodywash in the shower instead of soap, that I'm very very soft.

I wash my hands a lot...especially when I'm cooking, maybe I have a little OCD? They get pretty dry. Sometimes before going outside to feed, I'll get some straight up olive oil and use it like hand cream.

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I'm a Gold bond gal too! It really works on (and lasts) on dry skin. I wish they made a soap!

5. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I don't use any moisturizing lotion/emollient that has parabens in it. I use shower oil in the winter to stave off horribly itchy and dry skin. I love seasame oil as a shower oil.

6. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I have very, very dry skin. I use Dove soap in the shower, while still wet I do head to toe (except face) with heavy mineral oil, pat dry and then Aveeno Intense Relief cream (in the jar). I also like B&B's body butters over the mineral oil.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Gosh, I wasn't expecting such drastic measures!

I can only say that I have dry sensitive flaky skin on my face. Nothing helped me. I tried it all, I must have had 10 different moisturizers in my drawer. By coincidence, my GF told me her Grandma always told her to use Oil of Olay. I thought, yea, sure. Then another friend got some free samples. I washed my face with their face wash product, a towlette that sudses up with water, then some moisturizer, and I have not had a problem since! No flakes, no dry itchy drawn skin on my face. What a difference!

That's all I can recommend!

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What do you all use for your face??
    I'd like one that is VERY moisturizing and also an age defiant one.. [​IMG]
    I have Olay regenerist.. but it does not really moisturize very well... IMO
    But if i use some thing toooo oily, i notice my face can be prone to breakouts.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I use Olay for my face also. I also use Bag Balm for my feet in the winter...it does the trick.

10. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I recently switched to Cetaphil after watching them to a moisture test on the news, and I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by