Moiving Across Country~What breed will be best in our new home??

graciegoat

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Hello Everyone,
We currently live in Illinois with 8 wonderful hens.
Our family will be moving all the way to Arizona, and unfortunately, won't be able to take our girls with us.
sad.png

Once we get to Arizona (Tucson area) we want to start up with a new flock as soon as we're able to. My question is, does anyone know of a breed that does good in the desert heat and is also friendly and a fairly good egg layer?
Our chickens we have now are cold tolerant. We've enjoyed them so much in the past year that we've had them, and want to make good choices in our new home so that we once again have happy, healthy hens!!
Thanks!!

I would suggest Australorps which are very heat hardy (not surprising since they are commonly raised in Australia's outback which gets very hot in the summer). I've raised Australorps where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more), and while my other dual purpose breeds were listless, panting, and holding their wings out at their sides, my Australorps were going about their usual business like troopers. In addition to being extremely hardy, they are calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. The Mediterranean breeds such as Leghorns are also heat hardy and excellent layers, but they are typically high strung and flighty.

Thank you very much, Michael. I will look into the Australorps. The chickens we have now are very sweet (Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, and especially Welsummers). My daughter is so upset about having to leave her friends, and I want to find replacements that hopefully will end up being just as friendly.

Thank you very much, Michael. I will look into the Australorps. The chickens we have now are very sweet (Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, and especially Welsummers). My daughter is so upset about having to leave her friends, and I want to find replacements that hopefully will end up being just as friendly.

You're welcome. Australorps are a great breed for children.

Back
Top Bottom