Mold In Feed!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have had some bobwhite chicks and adults, and some coturnix juveniles die in the last week. I filled all of the feeders with that bag. When they started dying I checked the feed and it had some clumps in it. I didn't see it when I was pouring it in the feeders though. Turns out it was moldy, I checked in the bag and that's what it was. The feed was in a metal shed that is almost air tight. It killed off almost all of the birds from JJ. Despite my dad almost killing some birds it was the feed. Now I'm really mad, what do you guys think?

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    sorry bud.
    appreciate you sharing though to warn others.
    again, sorry.

3. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I doubt I'm gonna get reimbursed for the birds...[​IMG] I lost my only pair of whites and some snowflake's too. At least I get to hatch more though.[​IMG]

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    That Really Sux Dude. Its A Problem With Small Metal Structures Tho... Temp Swings So Wildly In Them Over The Course Of 24 Hr Time Period The Feed Sits There And Condensation Forms... Next Thing Ya Know...

Its Particularly Bad With Bobs And Pheasants... Eh Not So Much With Coturnix

For What Its Worth The Girls Are Still Laying Good

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    The feed has only been in the shed since saturday night and they died Sunday while I was at church and one died last night. So I doubt it happened in the shed.

6. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you sure that's what killed them? The feed I'm feeding all my birds right now has clumps in it and I haven't had any problems.

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I'm sure, nothing else could have done it. They acted almost like they were parylized when they died. Clumps is a sign of moisture which means the potential for mold...

8. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    I am so sorry Robo. Doesn't it just kill you, when you worked so hard to get to where you are at?! Let JJ help you out with his girls "alayin".
    Robo, I think maybe you should try to find the bag and take it to who you purchased it from, with a head count of loss and the worth of those lost. It is worth the inquiry. I would mention too that you are discussing it with other professionals, hobbiests and colleagues in the field. I hate to seem oportunist or money hungry or anything, but the pressure of knowing that you are connected to an entire community of breeders and hobbyists is a VALID PRESSURE that a feedstore or producer should consider. Ask pointed questions about if it happens frequently with their feed? Do many other folks come in claiming they have lost birds to the feed? Just like another post where some of us were "analyzing" LG incubators. Consumers have the right to state their problems with a product and ask for change in it.

I think with a pleasant demeanor and your story and information all lined out, you should let the source know what has happened to you. You always get more flies with honey than vinigar, so keep your chin up and a professional representation and see if they can reimburse you somehow. What is there to loose? If you are the better man, by going in and stating your case in an organized fashion with a good attitude, you have at the very least done the right thing by educating the seller of the feed.

Now, sure, there is the odd chance that your feed molded at your place. Even so, discuss that as the very last possibility and a slim one given that the feed was there a very short period of time.

I feel for you. It is only a matter of time for all of us, that some funky thing happens and sets us back. And isn't it painful. You have had a couple of blows now...the flooding, and now this.

Hang in there bud.

Tonya

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:I'll bring it up next time I go there. Thankfully, I didn't loose many birds. I just lost the expensive ones.[​IMG] I ended up losing a pair of white bobs and a pair of snowflakes, 7 bobwhite chicks, and 4 nearly grown coturnix roosters. Plus my favorite tuxedo. The funny thing is that it has been dry for the last week here. [​IMG]

10. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You lost Brown Cow?! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by