Mold in Fodder!

petrel

Chats with Chickens
10 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Spotsylvania, Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
We're on our third failed attempt at growing fodder. First I used aluminum roasting pans and watered them manually. Just as things started sprouting, white fluffy tufts of mold began to form.

On the second attempt we went all out with a set of shelves, plastic trays, catch basin, pump, timer, and a fan to maintain air circulation. Got mold again. On our third attempt, we washed the seeds in a 1% bleach/water solution before their overnight soak. Still got mold.

The temperature ranges from 68-72 in our house. We've used multiple watering schedules from one wetting three times a day to a 15 minute wetting every two hours around the clock.

Today I added a tbs of bleach to the four gallons of water circulating in the system. I want to see if it will kill the mold that is present and prevent further growth. We are using organic seed (wheat and barley) and well water. All system components were/are cleaned with hot soapy water.

The seed is rinsed two times in a colander, allowed to soak in a 1% bleach solution for a few minutes, rinsed again, soaked in clean water overnight, then spread out 1/4" deep in the bins. The bins are perforated on one end and tilted slightly to promote complete draining. The watering schedule is set so no further watering occurs until the seed bed is almost dry.

If our procedure is too flawed to troubleshoot, please give me (or direct me to) a tried and true method that we can adopt. Thanks!

What is Fodder? I have never heard of it before or seen anything on this forum about it
Technically, "fodder" is any feed you bring to an animal, as opposed to them grazing

What most here are referring to is sprouted seed that is allowed to grow a few inches long before feeding.

It seems to be the latest FAD in feeding, but reality is that it's probably not really worth the effort for most animals

It looks like the tbs of bleach added to the circulating water is working. It did not kill the established mold, but it did seem to prevent any mold in the new trays.

Back
Top Bottom