Mold in the Chicken Run

TreeStrepek

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
Dundee, Illinois USA
Today I saw 2 kinds of mold in my chicken run. We have had weeks of high humidity & little rain. Yesterday it finally rained. Then this morning= mold.

I would love ideas on how to properly treat these areas & neutralize the mold. At present I am using vinegar & let that sit for 1 hour. Then I turn the soil over with a shovel or pitchfork. Is that correct? I don’t know.... I’m the past I’ve sprinkled DE on those spots.

Any tips?

I’d just clean their run out and add I new layer of deep litter (if that’s what you use). Otherwise I’d clean out the moldy spot and add a layer of deep litter. Deep little should stop it from getting moldy, and if it does you just clean it out and replace the layer.

Shovel out the moldy bedding and relocate it to your compost pile.

Then add a generous amount of dry bedding -- coarse wood chips of the sort you get from a tree-trimming service are one of the best options. I like pine straw in my run because no matter how much it rains the pine straw always dries out on top almost as soon as the rain stops. But it's only readily available in the US Southeast.

If you add your general location to your profile we'll be able to give better advice.

Today I saw 2 kinds of mold in my chicken run. We have had weeks of high humidity & little rain. Yesterday it finally rained. Then this morning= mold.

I would love ideas on how to properly treat these areas & neutralize the mold. At present I am using vinegar & let that sit for 1 hour. Then I turn the soil over with a shovel or pitchfork. Is that correct? I don’t know.... I’m the past I’ve sprinkled DE on those spots.

Any tips?
Got pics.....of mold and overall run?
Is the mold where feed might have spilled?

DE can be a desiccant, it will dry things out. But once the DE gets wet it doesn't work any more. I don't think DE is the answer, it is no longer effective when it gets wet until it dries out again.

You are experiencing something pretty common when an organic material like straw, hay, grass clippings, wood chips, wood shavings, dried leaves or chicken feed stay wet a bit. Mold grows in those conditions. It doesn't matter if it is in a compost pile, a pile of dead leaves, a chicken coop, or a run, if it stays wet it can mold. When it sets in wet it's really hard to keep a run dry, even if it is covered. Rain blows in from the side. The ground itself can mold if it has something organic like chicken poop in it.

Some photos could help a lot in knowing what you are dealing with, both the two kinds of mold and what they are growing in or on. It's easier to respond if we know what you are dealing with.

There are a huge number of different kinds of molds. Most of them are not harmful. My chickens love to scratch in leaf mold, that's where dead leaves pile up, often in fence rows, and can get moldy. It doesn't hurt them. With some harmful molds, the kind that are a danger in wet feed it's not the mold itself that is harmful but the secretions as it grows and multiplies. Especially if those are in a container they can quickly build up to a dangerous level. That's why moldy chicken feed can be dangerous. Some molds can be dangerous, I'm not suggestion that you just blow them off. I think they need to be dealt with. Just don't panic when you see a mold. Molds are all through nature.

In general the best way to deal with a mold is to dry it out. Not always easy. The spores will always be there, when it gets wet it will start growing again. What's the best way to dry it out; depends on what you are working with. Raking might be enough, removing wet bedding might be best.

If your run is a low spot where water collects you are going to have a lot more problems than if it drains well when it gets wet. If your run is collecting water we may be able to help you dry it out. A lot of this depends on what you are working with.

Thank You for the thorough & knowledgeable response. It is greatly appreciated. The mold has not returned. I turned the Earth over and it seems to be dormant now.
I especially appreciate knowing not all mold is bad.
Yes- it presented by pellet spillage on the ground. I had watered the coop the day before & the humidity was over 80% for days.

Much Obliged,
🍃Tree

That’s great to know. But it adds an important question for me. My chicken run is green- not dry. I grew the weeds in tall for my chicks to be more safe (hawks are about).

I sprout my grains & spread it around my chicken run to encourage natural foliage to grow; oats, sunflowers, millet. The chickens eat these soft grains & some grow into lush green plants they enjoy too. This is why I water my coup 1 tine a week (unless it rained).
Are you saying watering my coup is not healthy for my birds? I have only had chickens for 1 year. I am still learning..... please clarify if I should not be watering my chicken run plants.

I thought healthy plant life in the coup was a good thing?? Is it better dry without folliage?

thanks!
🍃Tree

That’s great to know. But it adds an important question for me. My chicken run is green- not dry. I grew the weeds in tall for my chicks to be more safe (hawks are about).
Watering the run(outdoor space) is fine,
watering the coop(indoor space) is not.

Pics of your set up?
...and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1624025074467.png

Back
Top Bottom