Mold on eggshells. Why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lifthiminsong, Apr 13, 2017.

1. lifthiminsong

lifthiminsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    I do not clean my eggs after Gathering them. I simply keep them in cardboard cartons on the kitchen counter until ready to use them.
    Today, when I went to use some eggs, there was mold growing on two or three of them.
    Does anyone have an idea as to why this would be and how I could prevent it? Also, do you think they're safe to eat? In my five years of having chickens, I have not experienced this.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There must be too much moisture/humidity where you're storing them. Even though you have done this for years, sometimes environmental changes (weather, difference in house heating/cooling, etc.) could be the problem. It's possible the eggs may not be quite dry when you store them as well.

You may want to change out your box and location, provide more air circulation or consider storing them in the fridge until you can figure out a solution.

As far as eating them....personally I would throw them out, but that's just me.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/27/fungus-or-mildew-on-shells/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by