Moldy Hay, a Breeze, Now Wheezy Chickens

NuggetMama

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
Sierra Vista, Arizona
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but, I have so many questions.

I have two, two year old hens that are crackling and sounding just not so great and one, one year old hen. My BO is the worst off. We already had to put her sister down and I don't want to lose her too. It rained here two weeks to two and a half weeks ago (I can't remember, RA brain makes it so I can't remember times at all.. I have to write everything down and when it rained last was the last thing on my mind) and the hay we had stored near them became moldy. I didn't know seeing as it was stored indoors and it was the bottom that began to rot and get moldy. (So we didn't smell anything!)

Here let me put it in perspective. We are building a huge run for the chickens and they are being housed indoors in the garage until we finish. The weather seal at the bottom of the garage broke and allowed water to spill in where I was unable to see it. I noticed my girls sneezing a week ago so we began giving them ACV and honey in their water, when that didn't kick the sneeze and they began to get small crackles we jumped up to Denegard in case it was an URI and wanted to nip it in the butt asap! It's been about five days of giving it to them and I cannot find much information online about what to do. They still crackle and pop like rice crispies when they breath. My RIR and my EE who were (are?) ill still crackle and pop but they are active and running around again while my BO just looks miserable :c

We cleaned everything that was moldy up, even used vinegar straight from the bottle onto the flooring to make sure that it killed everything instead of using bleach since i didn't have any. Took the girls out into the sunshine and fresh air straight away and have been doing so every day to make sure that they get their lungs all cleaned up! But as I said, my BO is just miserable. She doesn't want to move at all. Once outside she just plops down and doesn't move while the others are getting into trouble or wanting back into the garage to lay eggs. (yes the other two still lay, just their eggs are on the smaller side now :c )

What can I do to make them feel better? Do i need different antibiotics? Should I shove vitamins down their throats and hope the immune system kicks it off? All my other chickens housed in a different area of the garage are not coughing or sneezing or anything. They are in fact being a pain in the butt to the older girls!

Mold in the hay can cause aspergillosis, a fungal respiratory disease. Symptoms are silent gasping. Since you had Denagard, I would wonder if you have seen respiratory symptoms in any of your other birds? Denagard is used in hogs, but it treats MG in chickens. MG can cause crackles, eye bubbles, and swollen eyelids. It is a lifelong disease, and all of your flock would be carriers. It is possible to have both diseases (fungal and MG) at the same time. Denagard is said to taste pretty bad, and I would make sure to give the right dosage and perhaps flavor your water to encourage them to drink.

Mold in the hay can cause aspergillosis, a fungal respiratory disease. Symptoms are silent gasping. Since you had Denagard, I would wonder if you have seen respiratory symptoms in any of your other birds? Denagard is used in hogs, but it treats MG in chickens. MG can cause crackles, eye bubbles, and swollen eyelids. It is a lifelong disease, and all of your flock would be carriers. It is possible to have both diseases (fungal and MG) at the same time. Denagard is said to taste pretty bad, and I would make sure to give the right dosage and perhaps flavor your water to encourage them to drink.
My other birds have had no symptoms just my older hens. My young hens (all 6 months and under) are running around being crazy and happy without a single problem. Not a sneeze not a wheeze nothing. It's just the olders who I had on the other side of the garage near the hay :c .

The older hens had no eye bubbles, only sneezing, snotty noses and now wheezing and crackling and coughing.

I had the Denegard because I had the TSC out here tell me to buy it from Amazon and use it on a little cockerel I had who had bubbly eyes at one point and a small sneeze. But he had no other symptoms and they cleared up once they were off the fine shavings. (We never used the Denegard just changed shavings) We ended up having him and two others butchered and put in freezer camp a while back since they were not the nicest little things.

I looked up the right dosage and they have it all surgared up so they want it really bad. It's just not cutting it so I think it's what you said, a fungal infection :c. What should I give them instead? Where I live things are very limited and I have to order everything online.

Are they doing any better today?
No.. and what I read finally after a ton of searching is that I gotta cull all my hens and just wait for the littles to grow up

So tomorrow we are taking them in and having them culled.. gonna clean all surfaces as well as their coops and just start over with waiting on others to grow up again. But it’s a learning experience I won’t forget. Ya know?

No.. and what I read finally after a ton of searching is that I gotta cull all my hens and just wait for the littles to grow up

So tomorrow we are taking them in and having them culled.. gonna clean all surfaces as well as their coops and just start over with waiting on others to grow up again. But it’s a learning experience I won’t forget. Ya know?
So, did you find out what the problem was?

Back
Top Bottom