moles digging up perimeter of coop

rosyposyosy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
my coop is lined with a tarp, on top of the tarp are very heavy tiles, covering the coop. on top of that, is sand. something has been digging UP out of the ground, and it is not something trying to dig into the coop. well, pretty much the edges of each wall (on the ground) is decaying since this, and all my sand and stuff is going down down down into this hole. I was thinking maybe taking out the chickens, putting them upstairs, with nesting boxes and stuff, and put my raccoon trap inside the coop. or is trapping not a good idea?

get a cat, we have voles, i believe that is what their called, between the dogs and cats they keep the area mostly rodent free.
wee.gif

As moles never stick more than their noses above ground a cat is pretty much useless. I've learned over the last 4 years to pretty much just ignore them. If theres an area you don't want them in then poor something really smelly down a hole. I wouldn't dare say gasoline because that may be illegal.
wink.png

Moles ONLY eat grubs. So aside from the mounds, they really are beneficial. If one gets too close to the surface and one of your chickens sees it the chicken WILL catch and eat them.

I also have a device that you drve in the ground that makes a random buzzing noise the moles stay away from. If I start getting mounds in my lawn I put it out and they stay away from my lawn. One of these supposedly will cover a 100' radius. Its actualy more like 50' but it does work. I think I paid $20 for it. (needs 4 "D" cell batteries which last months.)

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know what type of critter you are calling a mole, it could be different from what we have here, but my cat catches plenty of our moles....she lines them up at the back door as gifts for me....cuz she loves me so.
roll.png

I would trap for a few days and see what you come up with. Once you know exactly what animal you are dealing with you can come up with a plan.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom