1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moles in my coop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jettgirl24, Oct 27, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Went out to the coop to let the girls out and I opened the door to see a HUGE mound of dirt in the back. Argh! [​IMG] I didn't anticipate this kind of problem since the building we converted into a coop is built on a concrete slab. Apparently there is a gap of about 2 inches between the slab and the wall though. Looks like I have a nice weekend project ahead of me, stripping the bedding that is now mixed with damp dirt and sealing the gap. I HATE to have to do anything that costs money on it too because we're close to making an agreement on our dream farm and will likely be moving around February. I think I'll just screw some 2x4's down and hope that keeps 'em out for the next couple of months.

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I wouldnt worry about it. If that mole pokes his head out, your hens will make quick work of him!

3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Well... Looks like I must have a sneaky mole that knows not to come out when the ladies are aways because this morning I opened the door to find a dirt mound twice the size of the one I found yesterday! Argh! I thought for sure my BO would get him, she's a voracious predator [​IMG]

They've got two days left to make a snack of him or it's off to the hardware store for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by