Molt before ever laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cherrypie, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Cherrypie

Cherrypie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Puyallup
    I have a Marans and a RIR that should have started laying by now but haven't. I've noticed feathers all over the place and I'm wondering if they went straight to molting and skipped laying. Is that possible? There is still plenty of sunlight here in Washington, so I'm surprised that they would start molting.

2. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    How old are the chickens?
    Have there been any changes that may have upset them such as new flock members, preditors scarring them, modifications to the coop?

Stress can bring on molting, but it's not the only reason. I don't know enough to answer if they can skip laying and go into a molt. So I thought I would bring up the simple things first, and maybe some one with a better idea can chime in to help out.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I asked that once before - I think they don't techncally molt, they shed their baby feathers

4. Cherrypie

Jul 7, 2009
    Puyallup
    Quote:Thank you for this link. My girls are approximately 22-24 weeks (not sure on age because I didn't raise them from hatching) and they have red wattles and yellowing feet, so I've been expecting something any day. All I'm getting are lots of full size feathers in the coop and hen house.

5. lindym

lindym Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Olalla, WA
    Quote:Hmmmm, I think it is the Washington weather [​IMG]. Mine are 21 and 22 weeks. We had sporadic egg laying 3 weeks ago and now all we find are feathers [​IMG]

Linda

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. Cherrypie

Jul 7, 2009
    Puyallup
    Hmmmm, I think it is the Washington weather [​IMG]. Mine are 21 and 22 weeks. We had sporadic egg laying 3 weeks ago and now all we find are feathers [​IMG]

Linda

Oh that's a sad thought. Waiting until spring? Ugh. [​IMG]

7. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    mine just did!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by