Molt cleanup with deep litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nutmeg259, Oct 6, 2014.

1. nutmeg259

nutmeg259 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    I've read somewhere that stray feathers should be removed from the coop as they can harbor pests. This is my first year with chickens and I'm doing the DLM. At this point, if I attempted to leave the shavings and remove the feathers it would take forever. I'm interested to here what other DLM users do when chickens molt?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've never heard that. Sounds silly to me. I do clean up the feathers around the hen house. Sometimes there are quite a bit. (I just do it to keep things looking nice.)

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I just lightly rake the feathers off the top and get as much as I can to keep things cleaned up. I've never heard of shed feathers harboring any kind of pest however.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never removed feathers from the deep litter.

They seem to just disappear.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Seems to me that pests living on a detached feather would soon starve, so I wouldn't worry about it. Oh, I suppose a few would find their way back to live chickens but if they are already present in the coop, run, and on the birds, and they are also hiding in so many other places, I don't think I'd drive myself crazy trying to pick every feather out of the litter. I use DL, and I don't worry about the feathers.

6. gilcamp4

gilcamp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    delaware
    i have had chicken off and on for some 40 years and never picked them up, if in yard wind takes care of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by