Molt complete--how long before egglaying starts again?

gophert

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
One of my Barred Rocks starting molting around 11/16. Her molt now appears complete and she looks great--except that she has a pale comb and is not laying. We were away for a couple of weeks so I don't know exactly how long she has looked "done"--I know she still looked a bit molty when we left on 12/20. How long should it take before she starts laying again? I ask in part because we think the birds have worms, so I wonder if the molt is the problem or the worms are. (One other bird is still laying faithfully. The other has stopped, but now she has entered molt.)

My chickens tend to slow or stop laying in the winter months. I put a light source in their coop to extend their day. I have the light come on at like 4 am... I am getting eggs regularly from many hens now. It took a few weeks for them to get into the swing of things, but it might not hurt to try!

As far as the worms, I don't know what to tell you about that...I've never had an issue with worms.

Good luck!
frow.gif

It's hard to diagnose worms when they are molting as they have similar symptoms.

As for how long until they start laying again depends on the hen. I have one that just started back up after 2 months, 8 days. Others haven't laid in 4 months and haven't started back up yet.

Back
Top Bottom