Molt---How do I help her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by banks, Oct 17, 2009.

1. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

I am devastated by this molt. Is there anything I can do to help my poor girl? I am in Ft Worth Texas and right now our temps are mid 40's low and low 80's high. I do not know how long these temps will last. What all should I be worried about?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Poor girlie.

I give my hens a treat of Tuna when they molt, not sure how much it helps, but I'm sure its better than nothing at all.

(I would think any kind of meat would do the trick)

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I had read somewhere cat food is good too for the protein. I wouldnt worry about your temps, its in the 30's here day and night the last couple days and my girls dont mind it so much.

4. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If the temps start dropping in North Texas, I'd bring her inside for a while. I have a broody hen inside right now in a metal dog kennel, and she's no trouble at all.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I think a little extra scratch helps create body heat. Make sure she has shelter to get into out of drafts other than that, I believe she tolerates it better than we believe. Poor little thing! Some of mine are in mid molt and we went down into the 30's last night. Gotta feel sorry for them!

6. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks.........I have just never seen such a drastic molt.....How long will it take for her to get feathered out again? Months?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by