Molt, pecking, freaking me out!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morndew247, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Morndew247

Morndew247 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Upstate NY
    My Coop
    Hi, I have a chick (Brahma
    ) that began blowing feathers about 2 weeks ago. She was almost immediatly targeted by the other hens (all 5 of them though mostly the Black Australorp) and quickly became a bloody mess. We do not have the ability to separate her. We had her for a time in a dog kennel within the run, but really now she's so freaked out
    [​IMG]
    I'm afraid she's hurting herself. It's small-really I think too small. I tried the vicks on her (homemade) and it works-for about 15 minutes, and she goes nuts when I try and catch her to put more on.
    The whole flock seems to be stressed by her being in the cage, and for the past 4 days I have only gotten 1 egg a day, and that's going from 5-6 a day.
    This morning I took the cage out, coated her in the vicks again, and just let her go with her girls. My husband told me to buy blu-coat? Does anyone think this will help? Do I put it right on her skin and feet? (they love to peck her feet too!).
    Please any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to lose her or give her away. We
    [​IMG]her!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I would get the Blue Coat ASAP and keep around for incase. It masks bloody scabs so they stop pecking. We found ours at Tractor Supply. If she is actively bleeding you have to stop it….styptic powder, styptic pen..or cornstarch or just local pressure. I had luck with small wounds with hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball or tissue, but be careful not to let them get the cotton balls, turned into a great chase for me.

We had a problem last year with our lowest on pecking order, not only did the small flock peck her back in front of tail, but she did as well. Was quite bloody from a small wound. We sprayed her with the Blue Coat at nite while she was on the roost. It really worked, they all left the area alone after that. But a blond buff looked really silly with purple all over her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by