Molt pics for newbies (myself included)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PluckyJen, Jun 1, 2017.

1. PluckyJen

PluckyJen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa
    This is her first pre winter molt. I feel sorry for my baby. 20170531_153402.jpg

Wyorp Rock and jwozy like this.
  2. PluckyJen

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa
    This is Gertrude before her molt. Looks like a whole other chicken

Attached Files:

3. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Molting time is so shocking the first time you see it. My coop always looks like the girls had a pillow fight! I have one who molts hard-barely any feathers on her at all. She looks like she was plucked. I give them tuna, cat food and mealworms to increase their protein and they grow in their new feathers pretty fast.

PluckyJen likes this.
  4. PluckyJen

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa
    I agree. Big shocker. Shame i think my baby will be bare as well like yours. Iv been giving them tuna and mealworms so far. They are so picky at the moment. I have to beg them to eat things. Thanks for your reply.

5. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

I have yet to see a chicken turn down watermelon or grapes. If I have a picky chicken, I just make sure they have poly vi sol for some nutrients and keep offering anything I can think of to entice them to eat. Some days they love tuna. Other days they just give it the stink-eye.

Wyorp Rock and PluckyJen like this.
  6. PluckyJen

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa
    I had a good laugh at your reply. My girls are exactly the same! Everything they generally would love they are giving stink eye currently. Tut tut. The patience of this mommy. Popping to a agri store today. Hope to find a couple add on things to help my girls. Failing that ill dish them up a dinner plate at night with us :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by