Molt?

Ummm . Okay, well temp is usually 17-30 degrees . Coop is surrounded by straw to buffet the wind. We have a heater made for the coop. Right now they have some feathers beginning . The coop is not big enough space within it to stay inside for days. We joined to cages and need to cut the divider in side. So they stay only in one side. There is only a doorway between then right now. … if below 0 -10 degrees we we keep them in the coop. With no feathers their skin got very red .

So we brought then inside for now. We have a real cold spell. -1 tomorrow. I am ready for them to go back out anytime. But we don’t want to lose any. We only have the 5.
Thank you for answering!

5 chickens. 1 is okay , 4 have bare featherless spots just below the beaks on thier necks good size area. 3 of these have bare backsides starting just below the vent area and about 7 by 7 inches.
This is your solution.
You have one that's picking the others.
It could be boredom or tight quarters. Or not enough roost space for them to get away from the picker.
Drop the d.e, it's not good for you or your birds to breathe.

Ummm . Okay, well temp is usually 17-30 degrees . Coop is surrounded by straw to buffet the wind. We have a heater made for the coop. Right now they have some feathers beginning . The coop is not big enough space within it to stay inside for days. We joined to cages and need to cut the divider in side. So they stay only in one side. There is only a doorway between then right now. … if below 0 -10 degrees we we keep them in the coop. With no feathers their skin got very red .

So we brought then inside for now. We have a real cold spell. -1 tomorrow. I am ready for them to go back out anytime. But we don’t want to lose any. We only have the 5.
With those temps it's really not too cold for them to be out there but because they're used to being in a warmer area right now they need to re-acclimate to the colder weather so that there isn't a big shock when they move back out. So you might want to try having them out for the warmer part of the day, bringing them back in at night, and doing that for a few days to get them used to being outside again.

The feather picking is an issue. How big is the coop in sq ft?

This is your solution.
You have one that's picking the others.
It could be boredom or tight quarters. Or not enough roost space for them to get away from the picker.
Drop the d.e, it's not good for you or your birds to breathe.
I was thinking to drop the d e too . I will drop it. Thank you . Read some place about causing respiratory issues.

With those temps it's really not too cold for them to be out there but because they're used to being in a warmer area right now they need to re-acclimate to the colder weather so that there isn't a big shock when they move back out. So you might want to try having them out for the warmer part of the day, bringing them back in at night, and doing that for a few days to get them used to being outside again.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/at...1561658&hash=c22ee0d20aec0fdda600c3d67d8d95c8

Just the coop part we made a large run of our own. We have to cut the joining wall out so the roost is larger and goes all the way acrossed they don’t like separate roosts . Think it is too crowded . It is like of 2 separate rooms with a doorway i between right now .

Thxnk you all of the advice ! Yes we have one chicken peeping , stress maybe .

https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/upload?type=post&context[thread_id]=1561658&hash=c22ee0d20aec0fdda600c3d67d8d95c8

Just the coop part we made a large run of our own. We have to cut the joining wall out so the roost is larger and goes all the way acrossed they don’t like separate roosts . Think it is too crowded . It is like of 2 separate rooms with a doorway i between right now .

Thxnk you all of the advice ! Yes we have one chicken peeping , stress maybe .
Unfortunately I can't see the attachment, easy way to add photos to a post is click the portrait icon (Insert Image) above the reply box, and drag in the photo you want from your computer.

Since I can't see it, the recommended minimum sq ft per chicken is 4 sq ft inside the coop, 10 sq ft in the run. So your 5 birds should have a 20 sq ft coop, for example. Some birds may need more space, some may tolerate less. Crowding and boredom can all contribute to behavioral issues.

1675167560816.png

This is the coop …?I hope you can see it . 2 coop parts together are big enough. Thank you , we will have to remove the diving wall agree might be too small

Back
Top Bottom