Molting already

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by leighanngue, Sep 4, 2013.

1. leighanngue

leighanngue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    this hen of mine molts every year .. but thank goodness she started now .. and not in December like last year ... poor Hanny penny... anyone else molting yet ?
    [​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Mine decided to start at fair[​IMG]. Judge didn't seem too impressed at that moment...

3. leighanngue

Jul 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    ohh that would be a bummer =[ I live in las vegas .. we dont have fun stuff like that to do here =[

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I've had a couple go through their moult already. Even my duck and goose have gone through it also. I guess it just depends on the bird? I know what you mean, at least its now, instead of the winter. Down here, I don't really need to worry to much about that! [​IMG]

5. leighanngue

Jul 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    I remeber when I had ducks as a kid .. seems like they molted every year, can't remember what time of year they did it tho

6. lrayle

lrayle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    what is molted

7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Chickens (and other birds) go through a "molt" every year - they shed their current set of feathers, either gradually or all at once, depending on the chicken, and grow back new ones. These new fresh feathers help them get ready for winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by