Molting and a dumb owner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brijetterom, Oct 28, 2016.

1. brijetterom

brijetterom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi!

I feel so stupid because I added Three more new happens to my flock wow two of my favorites are molting for the first time. I had no idea you weren't supposed to do this. Is it advise that I separate the chickens or just let them go through the rough transition of becoming a new flock?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    You already got it started,I'd just let it play out.Plus,molting hens usually don ot like to be around the others anyways.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

As long as no blood is shed...? Also it can take awhile before they get along, if they ever do...? You might have two mini flocks?

Cheers!

4. brijetterom

brijetterom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    It's seems I have two mini flocks .

What do I need to know about the supplemental lighting and my molting hens ?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They would have started molting whether or not you added the new birds. It will take quite a while for them to become one flock instead of two. Chickens don't like change.

Increase their protein content will help them get through their molt. Feathers are 98% protein, so it takes a lot out of them to molt. Once they grow all of their feathers back in, they will need the extra protein to get their weight back up to a safe level before they can resume laying. I don't add light to my birds, but it won't help until they are ready to lay again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by