1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting and personality change?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reesadz, Jan 1, 2013.

1. reesadz

reesadz Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    My hen just finished her first molt and now she won't come anywhere near me. She used to eat right out of my hand. Is this common?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Molting is stressful and I think that chickens may feel more vulnerable while molting. I would guess that her personality change may be a result of the molting and that she will eventually get back to normal.

3. applegal

applegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    When my girls have molted they go back to their normal personality, I've never had one shy away when finished molting. I have one molting now too...she's a big grouch! I hope this does't last long! Good luck.

4. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one of my girls molt, and after she was done *poof* Completely new personality!!!!!!!!!!! She is very regal and prissy now, but I can still pick her up and all those sorts of things.

5. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    My Light Brahmas molted and one of them, Blondie, has remained the same. The other one, Dolly, has become a completely different creature. She looks amazing; her new feathers are just beautiful but her personality is awful and she used to be sweet. She picks on everyone and especially my little bantam, Lucile. It got so bad in the coop at night that poor little Lucile couldn't even get up on the roost with the rest of her flock. One night she came back out of the coop and proceeded to get in the coop with the younger girls. All is well in the younger girls coop at night but Dolly still picks on all of them at some point during the day. I don't understand what went wrong either. None of my other girls has ever had a personality change like that.

6. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree it is a very stressful time for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by