Molting and Sick?

They're both acting like they don't feel great. To be honest I believe Izzy looks worse than she feels because she will perk up very often. I haven't brought her inside yet. As for Sue, she seems better than she did a few days ago whenever I brought her inside, but her poops are a bit worrisome. There are bits of poop and urates with water. I just felt her crop and she has contents in there but it's certainly not nearly full. She pecked at the Flock Raiser that I moistened and then decided to come out of the dog crate to peck around at some seeds and feed that my daughter spilled. Then she went back to the crate, nibbled a bit more, then got on the roosting bar. My daughter has one of our almost 5 month old pullets in here (my grooming shop) and Sue was going to attack her but I kept interrupting, because this pullet is pretty massive compared to Sue, plus I don't want them to fight. I'm guessing that it's a good sign that Sue is wanting to show her pecking order status?

Have you tried giving these two yogurt or probiotics to restore healthy microbes in their digestive systems? I would also give them each a straight shot of Poultry Nutri-drench, then mix up some in their water bottle at a proportion of one-fourth teaspoon to one quart of water and let them have that as their water source for the next two or three days for a nutritional boost.

Then there is no reason to suspect egg binding. I think your girls are run down from molt and need some nutritional assistance to get them feeling like their old selves.
So it'd probably be in their best interest, especially with this cold, to stay in their coop tonight so they don't have to go through a huge shock in the morning going out in 27° after being inside where it's 65°? I'll certainly get them started on nutri drench tonight and then mix their water like you advised in the morning. Is it ok for their 3 flockmates to drink this as well? I'll also get some yogurt and/or probiotics for them.

@azygous I just realized that I used my entire bottle of nutri drench on my duck a few weeks back. I have some Rooster Booster vitamins & electrolytes w/ lacto bacillus (yay probiotics!). Will that be sufficient for tonight? I'll be sure to get nutri drench tomorrow. I like to keep that on hand but completely forgot to restock

It won't hurt the rest of the flock to drink the Nutri-drench "tea" for two or three days. But they don't need an undiluted dose like these two will be getting when you get the Nutri-drench.

Be aware that Nutri-drench is a crisis formula designed to "mainline" nutrients by-passing the liver. It's for sick or injured poultry. It's not meant for regular daily use. It will cause loose stools if used for longer than a few days.

Back
Top Bottom