Molting at seven months

SMC

Hatching
Jul 10, 2020
I have ten hens of various breeds all seven months old.
Several are losing a few feathers and one of my two speckled sussex is going through a complete molt.
I've read that hens generally do not molt the first year.
Is this normal? Could there be another cause for feather loss?

I typically buy chicks in April and they don't molt until the following year. I haven't heard of molting happening at that age.
Have you checked for lice or mites?
A good time to look is at night with a head lamp, it is less stress for the flock.

Not normal.
Pics of full molt bird, please.
Checking for bugs is good, but bugs don't normally cause a molt.

Several are losing a few feathers and one of my two speckled sussex is going through a complete molt.
I have had a couple birds molt around the same age. Actually only 2 out of the few thousand I’ve raised. It’s pretty rare and I’m not sure why they did but I have seen it.

I have had a couple birds molt around the same age. Actually only 2 out of the few thousand I’ve raised. It’s pretty rare and I’m not sure why they did but I have seen it.
Have had a couple 9-10 months olds do a partial molt in winter....and read of more than a few others.......but 7 months seems young, unless age is inaccurate.

Have had a couple 9-10 months olds do a partial molt in winter....and read of more than a few others.......but 7 months seems young, unless age is inaccurate.
Nope I shipped a guy a pullet right at 6 months of age and within a month she molted. I had her 3 sisters and they didn’t. I’m not sure if it was stress from shipping or not but she molted. She lost her tail and everything at around 6.5 to 7 months. I didn’t believe it at first until he sent me all the pictures of her.

There are several reasons that could be the cause for this:
  • A sudden change of feed.
  • Feeding them grain that was just harvested without letting it dry and rest for at least 4-6 weeks will also lead to a partial molt.
  • Adding new chickens to the flock.
  • Predator attacks => shock.
  • Parasites.

Last edited:
Yep, i'd say little doubt......plus integration at new place.
Yeah but I’ve shipped quite a few birds around the same age and that’s never happened before while every one goes through the same stress, change of feed, new surroundings etc.. Also there were definitely no parasites because what I use works. 😉

Last fall I had an OE that went through a complete molt at 6,5 month after being broody for some time. She was very determined and it took 11 days to break her. So I blamed it on the hormonal changes.

Back
Top Bottom