Molting, but now there is some blood.

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
Yesterday I posted about our hens losing feathers. One especially has lost them around her neck. The replies say they are molting, but I just saw the one hen molting on her neck has some dried blood on it. Are they pecking her because she is molting? What can I do?

Here is yesterday’s thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/losing-feathers-please-help.1609564/

IMG_1588.jpeg

No worries!

I’ll put some neosporin. It should be the “antibacterial ointment” without the “pain relief”, correct?
It actually doesn't matter, from my research. It's a myth that unfortunately started when someone on here had a bird attacked and badly wounded (lost a leg, I think) the member used pain relief neosporin but the bird died. It very likely diet of shock and blood loss.
Now, birds are more sensitive to being put under for surgery but most topical pain relievers won't even bother them, in fact they have a higher resistance to lidocaine than we do.
But since the non pain relieving ointment is easier to get, that's fine since she's not in pain. I'd pick the non pain relieving kind anyway.

Back
Top Bottom