Molting chickens, missing eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ssteiner, Nov 26, 2009.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Three of my four girls are molting and we're down to three eggs a week from the only hen who is still on-duty. It's been close to a month now. The three look rather ragged, there are feathers everywhere, and I was just wondering how much longer I should expect to be longing for eggs. Any tips?

Thanks.
    Scott

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I know it's hard but just keep waiting. Sadly, there's no real answer about how long the molt will take.

3. hungryhensfarm

hungryhensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Don't feel bad. I'm getting two eggs a day and I have 17 hens. The days are getting shorter and if they don't get at least 14 hours of light a day they will stop laying altogether. I'm working now on some light for mine to see if I can get them motivated again.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Some of that depends on the breed. I have a breed known to lay well in the wintertime and after their molt the girls are back to laying well, without added light. The eggs are huge after the molt too!
    You can supplement their regular feed with high protein treats to help the molt along, since feather growth requires alot of protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by