Molting For Months

Nonnie's Chicks

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2018
Southeast Louisiana
My babies are 3 1/2 years old & have been good layers up until this year. They slowed down production in May, & we were only getting 1-2 eggs per week total from 8 layers. I have 4 RIR & 4 black austrailoups (sp). I live in south Louisiana. We’ve had a few storms this year, a couple of them severe. They have been molting for months. They get to free range daily, get quality food, additional protein & are provided oyster shells. I’m getting zero eggs now, for 2 months now. Do y’all think they will ever recover?

Chickens may begin molting as early as August and some will continue into January. There's usually a big flurry of feathers in September and October, and then they dwindle, the tail feathers usually being last.

After molt is complete, though, there may not be enough daylight to trigger the laying hormones until the days begin to get longer again in late December. By the end of January, you should see eggs begin to appear again.

They slowed down production in May
They get to free range daily,
I'd suspect they had another place to lay out in range area.
Now you'll have to wait until days get longer...and maybe confine them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom