Molting for two months...is this natural?

umanduhbree

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Lacona, IA
My ladies started molting in late November when Iowa has a short cold snap. We have a whole flock of bare headed chickens and a few with bare backs. However, Iowa didn't stay cold and we went through several weeks of 40-60 degree weather. Now, almost two months later, my ladies are still bare. They haven't lost anymore feathers, nor have they regrown them. This is my first winter with chickens, and i don't know if this is natural or not. I thought molting only took a few weeks, but this is their first winter too so maybe they don't quite know what to do. I am concerned that something else may be wrong. I have checked for mites and any other signs of buggy foul play, but I don't see any. If anyone has had this happened and can alleviate my concerns I would greatly appreciate it.

My ladies started molting in late November when Iowa has a short cold snap. We have a whole flock of bare headed chickens and a few with bare backs. However, Iowa didn't stay cold and we went through several weeks of 40-60 degree weather. Now, almost two months later, my ladies are still bare. They haven't lost anymore feathers, nor have they regrown them. This is my first winter with chickens, and i don't know if this is natural or not. I thought molting only took a few weeks, but this is their first winter too so maybe they don't quite know what to do. I am concerned that something else may be wrong. I have checked for mites and any other signs of buggy foul play, but I don't see any. If anyone has had this happened and can alleviate my concerns I would greatly appreciate it.

How old are they? Do you have a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom