Songster
Jul 15, 2017
New Jersey
8019D583-4A67-4F1B-AAE3-E20AD07A2917.jpeg
8019D583-4A67-4F1B-AAE3-E20AD07A2917.jpeg
71227E75-FA04-40FC-A33E-BE3B61ABB151.jpeg
1FFC0651-3AF5-4245-BFE5-089D2E188020.jpeg
Hello,
I have four RIR happy healthy hens. I slowly started to notice that Margherita has bald spots. When I go to pick her up she now screams and squawks and he’s very nervous. The places where the feathers are missing still have the end of the quill in her skin. Her comb looks paler than usual but otherwise she’s acting normal scratching and moving around. At first we thought one of the others were bullying her and plucking her but now I am not so sure. When I picked her up a lot of feathers soft ones were falling off of her.
Also we noticed most of her feathers are inside the coop. We don’t know if this is going on at night and if she’s plucking her self or another chicken is plucking her. Could she be the only one that’s molting out of four hens? This is their second fall. I feel very bad for her . I am attaching some pictures .
Thank you!!

Yep! Molting.
Out of my six hens only two are hard molting. Three are soft molting and one seems to be escaping it, getting an egg a day from her! None of the others are laying. High protein feed helps along with blk. Sunflower and mealworm for snacking.
Also, I keep from picking the girls up until the new feathers take over. It's painful for them .

Yep! Molting.
Out of my six hens only two are hard molting. Three are soft molting and one seems to be escaping it, getting an egg a day from her! None of the others are laying. High protein feed helps along with blk. Sunflower and mealworm for snacking.
Also, I keep from picking the girls up until the new feathers take over. It's painful for them .
Oh ! I thought she seemed like she was in pain. Yes will leave her be. Snacks sound like a great idea. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom