Molting Hen Help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sixlittlechicks09, Dec 22, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hello there everyone! I hope you're all having a great winter season!

Well here's my problem,
    I've got three very bald RIR Hens and I don't know what to do! It's been getting very cold around here lately, down to below 0 at night. During the day they seem fine, but I worry about them at night. They've got almost no feathers on their backs and under their wings! Their necks are starting to look a little naked too. Is there something I can do for them in the time it takes for their feathers to grow back? I've heard everything from feeding them different kinds of foods to making them little sweaters. Then some people say they don't need anything at all. But it gets so cold here, the temps are going to be around zero during the day over then next few weeks, I just hate seeing them so bald. So what's the general BYC consensus? Thanks everybody!

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
  3. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Feeding them extra protein will help the molt move along quicker too. If you have some chick starter, they could have some of that. Any sort of meat leftovers in the fridge will be good too. My girls are cleaning out my fridge quite nicely now that they're molting. [​IMG]

4. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Thanks! I've been making them warm mash with a little milk and old apples and canned veggies that they really seem to enjoy.
    And that saddle idea is magnificent! Maybe a few of those made out of fleece would be good for my girls...
    I'm open to any other suggestions too!

5. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Fresh raw milk, fresh raw meat, bugs, bugs and more bugs [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:x2. I have a molting brahma and although it's nowhere near your temps here lol I still like to boost her protien a bit. She is so picky, but she LOVES meat. Any kind of meat, total carnivor veloceraptor this one lol! If they like BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) I hear that helps promote feather regrowth ect. [​IMG] canned tuna is another good treat, my girls love it.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Extra protein, BOSS, and protection from drafts. You will be amazed at how rapidly they refeather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by