molting hen with sour crop

May 6, 2023
my Eleanor is in middle of her first molt. she has a squishy crop and smelly. I started her on monistat 2ml twice a day with 2 tsp coconut oil massage twice a day. she is eating and drinking. before this poop, it was loose green and watery. her crop is still distended. I did get it a lot smaller this morning, but not this evening. today is day two of the treatment. she had a crop issue 2 months ago. same thing and the treatment got rid of it. she never had a poop like this one. does anyone know if this poop is ok or is something else going on? any information would be welcome and appreciated. Eleanor is a easter egger hen and is almost 20 months old.

Attachments

• 20231111_165155.jpg
    20231111_165155.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 64
I haven’t seen a dropping like that before. Could she be eating something different around the yard? What are you feeding? Do you have granite poultry grit available? How does the breathe smell? During a molt, they may eat less, be more aloof, and they may be very stressed. It may be that the crop is slowed down. I would continue to check it early in the morning to see if it is emptying. Here is a good article that you may have seen already:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

my Eleanor is in middle of her first molt. she has a squishy crop and smelly. I started her on monistat 2ml twice a day with 2 tsp coconut oil massage twice a day. she is eating and drinking. before this poop, it was loose green and watery. her crop is still distended. I did get it a lot smaller this morning, but not this evening. today is day two of the treatment. she had a crop issue 2 months ago. same thing and the treatment got rid of it. she never had a poop like this one. does anyone know if this poop is ok or is something else going on? any information would be welcome and appreciated. Eleanor is a easter egger hen and is almost 20 months old.
I haven’t seen a dropping like that before.
Echoing @Eggcessive , I've never seen droppings like that before!

Curious poop. I've never seen anything like that before either.

If you find more like that, can you pull it apart and tell us what the texture is like. Is it firm like pus or ? (take pictures too:D)

I haven’t seen a dropping like that before. Could she be eating something different around the yard? What are you feeding? Do you have granite poultry grit available? How does the breathe smell? During a molt, they may eat less, be more aloof, and they may be very stressed. It may be that the crop is slowed down. I would continue to check it early in the morning to see if it is emptying. Here is a good article that you may have seen already:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Their run is sand and dirt so they have plenty of grit. Her crop is squishy in the morning, but smaller than when she went to bed. I dont think its impacted, just very slow. Her poops are very watery green diarrhea . Her breath smells yeasty. She has some gas in her crop as well. Nothing Out of the ordinary for food. Kalamouth crumbles with chick starter mixed in and rooster booster vitamin. Apple and kale . Not interested in mealworms. Right now.

Curious poop. I've never seen anything like that before either.

If you find more like that, can you pull it apart and tell us what the texture is like. Is it firm like pus or ? (take pictures too:D)
Texture is kind of rubbery, firm but you can squish it flat easily. same color throughout . She has watery green diarrhea too. Haven't seen another poop like the white one yet.

Texture is kind of rubbery, firm but you can squish it flat easily. same color throughout . She has watery green diarrhea too. Haven't seen another poop like the white one yet.
Their run is sand and dirt so they have plenty of grit. Her crop is squishy in the morning, but smaller than when she went to bed. I dont think its impacted, just very slow. Her poops are very watery green diarrhea . Her breath smells yeasty. She has some gas in her crop as well. Nothing Out of the ordinary for food. Kalamouth crumbles with chick starter mixed in and rooster booster vitamin. Apple and kale . Not interested in mealworms. Right now.
I'd continue to treat the crop. If she's had crop issues before, then she may have something else going on. Often there's some type of infection, reproductive disorder, worms, etc. that is behind the scenes.

I'd continue to treat the crop. If she's had crop issues before, then she may have something else going on. Often there's some type of infection, reproductive disorder, worms, etc. that is behind the scenes.
Eleanors crop did not respond after the yeast treatment, then amoxcillin treatment with coconut oil massages. 12 days. I was very lucky to get her to a avian vet and they opened her crop today and it was impacted. they were able to get her all cleaned out and she is on amoxcillin and soft diet for a couple weeks and should make a full recovery. it was not the typical tennis ball size firm impact. her's was doughy and little gassy. It would not decrease in size no matter the amount of massage, just continued to increase in size daily. thank you for all the help, this site is wonderful.

Eleanors crop did not respond after the yeast treatment, then amoxcillin treatment with coconut oil massages. 12 days. I was very lucky to get her to a avian vet and they opened her crop today and it was impacted. they were able to get her all cleaned out and she is on amoxcillin and soft diet for a couple weeks and should make a full recovery. it was not the typical tennis ball size firm impact. her's was doughy and little gassy. It would not decrease in size no matter the amount of massage, just continued to increase in size daily. thank you for all the help, this site is wonderful.
I'm glad the vet was able to remove the impaction and she's now on the road to recovery.

Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom