Molting hens not laying

Michelob5

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2023
My flock of 10 have been molting for at least 8 weeks now. The only ones laying eggs are the three new young hens that are now twenty some weeks old. They are on a high protein diet commercial feed that is 21% protein. Egg production is still only from 1 to 3 eggs per day. When can I expect return of normal egg production? Or what more can I do to get them to lay more eggs?

When can I expect return of normal egg production? Or what more can I do to get them to lay more eggs?
Hens cannot produce eggs and a whole body of new feathers at the same time. Both events are a heavy burden to their bodies.
Once the hens have molted they will take a break from laying during the winter with the shorter days and will resume laying in the spring. I always see the eggs start back up by mid to late February.
The pullets will lay throughout the winter at a reduced rate to what they will produce when the day light increases.

Mine start laying again in mid to late January. The pullets supposedly will lay thought out the winter, but they have to start laying before the days get too short. I have 2 pullets that I am still hoping for, but my 5 older hens are dropping feathers rather than eggs.

I have 2 Blue Austalorps that have been laying some thru a slow molt the last 2 months. I find eggs sometimes pick up right after the December solstice, if not it's early February as some have said.

Hi Sweet, Without meaning to repeat the perfectly accurate information by my fellow BYC’s I would like to add that to produce feathers hens need a lot of protein, ditto eggs. This is why we all harp in about the amount of protein in their diets. So, when they moult their little brains have to ask feathers or eggs ? Mmm 🤔 Feathers I need eggs I don’t so it’s a no brainier for them.
Coz I’m a mega softy I tend to give my girls high protein treats while they moult partly because the need lots of protein and partly coz it makes me feel better as they look so, well, oven ready. Poor loves.
For the extra protein I give them peas, tuna, crushed up walnuts and mealworm although there are lots of other yummies like tuna, oats, sprouts (🤢) and sunflower seeds,
Well, that’s it from me,
Big hugz to you and your girlz,

Back
Top Bottom