Molting hens, when end

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ange, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    Pretty sure my hens are molting, feathers everywhere I HAVE RIR NEWHAMPSHERE BUFF ORPHINGTON i only have 1 or 2 eggs a day out of 13 hens. WHEN DO THEY STOP MOLTING, WE HAVE ALIGHT TO EXTEND THE DAY, AND HAVE NOT USED IT AS YET SINCE THEY ARE MOKTING, WHEN WILL EGGS PICK UP

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Molting last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months-- depends upon the bird and the nutrition and the severity of the molt.
    Your mileage may vary:)
    Doesn't help the egg production much right at Christmas Cookie time, does it?
    We are in the same boat:/

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is epidemic among chickens this time of year. Mine have been losing feathers at a rate to supply a pillow factory. I took a peek at last year's journal entries and saw that it was exactly the same - one egg, maybe, per day out of a dozen hens until the end of December when production suddenly kicked back in.

It's wise to allow molting to run its course without resorting to artificial light to hurry it or end it. That could result in poor feather formation as well as poor egg quality.

Our girls will be grateful for the rest and reward us with a wonderful bonanza of eggs in a few more weeks, not to mention new feather finery.

4. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I got 2 eggs today from 36 hens. The oldest hens I have are 9 that are 2 1/2 years old. The rest are from last year and this year.
    It's pretty discouraging, especially with the price of feed. I thought about adding a light, but figure they need a little break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by