1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting????? I think????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Nov 10, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    OKay my girls are about a year and 3 months. They have all quit laying about a month ago except one chicken. I have been seeing feathers everywhere. I don't see bald spots like the pictures of everyone elses molting birds. Seems like recently the amount of feathers on the ground are getting less. Is it possible for them to molt with out getting bald spots. Would the fact I am not seeing as many feathers mean they are about to stop molting or is the fact I am not seeing bald spots mean they are slow molters. If they are slow molters is there anything that could be done to speed things along?

Thanks,
    Michelle [​IMG]

2. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    It sounds like your birds may be slow molters, birds can either molt by dropping feathers in groups or they can drop them one at a time. Obviously, for egg production, you'd rather have them drop their feathers quickly so they get back in egg production. I just wrote a little bit about that on my blog if you're interested (http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2011/11/09/molting-chickens/) but I don't know any way to make a slow molter become a fast molter.

3. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    My flock is about 1/2 and 1/2. Some drop a bunch of feathers at once, others go the slow and steady route.

4. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am definitely interested, I will check it out.

Thanks,
    [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by