Molting in January!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TK Poultry, Jan 7, 2010.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i have one bantam ameraucana who lives in my room with a lavender chick and she is starting to molt there are feathers everywhere im constantly sweeping my room why is she molting so early in the year should she molt in spring.
    is a reason because i have the lights on in my room more than there is daylight outside? am i confusing her? i put a blanket over their cage so i can have a lamp on at night so they think its dark? will she be affected by a molt this early?....she isnt going outside anytime soon shes keeping a younger bird company she isnt going out until spring.

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I would just boost her protein up and let her molt dont change anything now. Since she is inside she will be fine. At least you will get lots of eggs this spring [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    One of mine started molting in November, another one in December. Weird time of year, but I guess their bodies know what they are doing. I can only hope these 2 start back laying before the others decide to molt.

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ok just making sure this wasnt something tragic or anything i was just going to keep it warm in there and try not to change too much more but i try to keep it pretty routine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by