Molting or something else

Tyranno-Chicken Rex

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2023
A couple of my chickens have missing feathers around their necks, they’re about 9mo old and haven’t had their first molt yet. I haven’t noticed big piles of feathers under the roosting bars, but there are a few here and there around the coop. One also has small yellowish flaps of skin in the area though I’m not sure if that’s just the featherless skin? The areas are not irritated, you can’t really see the odd skin texture in the attached pictures of one chicken but tell me if you need better ones!
The chicken in the pictures also has spots of matted feathers, but I’m pretty sure she just needs a good dust bathing (ours is running low and needs a refill soon!). The other one looks almost completely healthy except the missing feathers.
For clarification, she doesn’t keep her neck stretched like that all the time, I just caught pictures when she was so it was easier to see the area.

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2840.jpeg
    IMG_2840.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 3
That looks like feather pecking/plucking probably as a result of over grooming by another bird/birds in the flock.

Thank you, I did notice red vents as well but must have accidentally added it to a different post. The chickens with the red vents aren’t the same ones as the chickens with the missing feathers, but another person suggested it might be feather picking as well; I will definitely observe some more to see what’s happening there and stop the picking!

A couple of my chickens have missing feathers around their necks, they’re about 9mo old and haven’t had their first molt yet. I haven’t noticed big piles of feathers under the roosting bars, but there are a few here and there around the coop. One also has small yellowish flaps of skin in the area though I’m not sure if that’s just the featherless skin? The areas are not irritated, you can’t really see the odd skin texture in the attached pictures of one chicken but tell me if you need better ones!
The chicken in the pictures also has spots of matted feathers, but I’m pretty sure she just needs a good dust bathing (ours is running low and needs a refill soon!). The other one looks almost completely healthy except the missing feathers.
For clarification, she doesn’t keep her neck stretched like that all the time, I just caught pictures when she was so it was easier to see the area.
Wasn’t sure if the pictures uploaded properly, here they are just in case they didn’t:
IMG_2841.jpeg
IMG_2840.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom