Molting or us she sick?

Apparently my pullet Sunshine with the ruffly feathers and bare spots was just molting. Her ruffled feathers have disappeared on one side and are almost gone on the other side. She still seems to stay by herself more but I think that us because she is at bottom of oecking order. She is on the left in photo.

I have a New Jersey giant that is 3 1/2 years old and she is going through her second molt. She looks likeshe is almost dead this morning. She was in her coop and couldn't walk, I took her out and put her in the sun and she is up and standing now, won't eat or drink.

Have you researched molting? My hens just seem to loose clumps of feathers and their combs get pale, they do act miserable, because they seem to do this when it gets really, really cold
idunno.gif

not walking seems like something else... maybe someone who knows more will see this :)

I have a New Jersey giant that is 3 1/2 years old and she is going through her second molt. She looks likeshe is almost dead this morning. She was in her coop and couldn't walk, I took her out and put her in the sun and she is up and standing now, won't eat or drink.

You probably want to keep a close eye on her. Molting should not lead to symptoms like that.
Has she been wormed?
Treated for lice?
Check comb color, vent, and eyes.

Any time a bird acts in any way abnormal like that, I isolate for observation, give electrolytes, and a nice cooked egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom