Molting or us she sick?

glandongirl

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 6, 2014
Orange County CA
. I have three pullets (I think). One is on the bottom of pecking order. She is loosing feathers. And her feathers ate always ruffled in a couple spots.

If this is their first year, I doubt they are molting. It looks like she is being mounted by a rough roo. Can you get individual pics of each bird? Side shots are best, and close ups of the comb. This one looks like a pullet

. I have three pullets (I think). One is on the bottom of pecking order. She is loosing feathers. And her feathers ate always ruffled in a couple spots.
They shouldn't be losing feathers,escpecially if those are new feathers.I wouldn't say molting,way too early.She's not sick(maybe),but i'd say she's being bullied.From the back it looks as if their pecking 1 spot and getting ready for it to bleed

Young birds do go through stages of feather development where they shed and replace feathers, not a true, heavy molt but they do replace juvenile feathers. In that picture you can see all the new feathers that have come in and are still partly covered by the kertin sheath. I would suspect that is all that is going on here.

Yes pullets! Sorry. They are they are approx 4 months, possibly five months.
If I remember correctly,my young roo either did start mating or just practice.They never make things like that.I'm pretty sure yours are all pullets.Be sure she has not been grabbed or the others aren't being bullies.

This is the one I was suspecting may be a roo but now I don't think so. However she dies like to dive bomb at the other one and they puff up their chests but never actually make contact. I post another pic of all three. I was told they may be Dominques instead of Barred Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom