Molting or what?

LadyWoodsong

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Midwest
Could a 9 month old hen be molting? Would a hen's comb and wattles look very drab colored while molting?

I have a Black Star hen that doesn't look well. Her feathers around her neck look very shabby looking and her comb and wattles are not a nice bright red like the rest of them. She looks like she is eating ok. Also, she is very flighty, runs away from me instead of squatting. It's so cold out that I can't stand around observing her for very long.....

Any ideas?

My answer to you is yes. I have a RIR hen that is molting at 9mths as well and I am thinking she is sick. Been trying to get answers. I noticed that you are from the midwest as well. I live in Mo.

bump

Would like to hear more thoughts....??
hu.gif

This is the second winter for my light bramahn chicken here in CA. She has never molted before but now she's almost bald. is this what molting looks like and how long does it last? she's not laying any eggs and it's cold, must be pretty uncomfortable without feathers? any references on what to expect? thanks.

A bird isn't going to feel good when they are molting. So long as shes eating drinking and not showing any other symptoms she should be fine.
wink.png
My birds are always really sore and grumpy when they're molting so that is probably whats wrong with your little hen.

Back
Top Bottom