Molting, Pecking, or Something Else?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
Is it too early for chickens to start molting? I have a Cochin who has had a few bald spots from my overzealous rooster (she hasn't been around him since late May, but the feathers never grew back), and I noticed today she's becoming a bit balder in those places, especially in her saddle area. Could this be a sign that she's molting? One spot does have a little red bump on it like a mosquito bite, and I've noticed she's kind of lower on the pecking order and will stay away from some of my bossier girls, so I'm wondering if it's also a sign of pecking? I would say about 1/3 of my girls have missing feathers in their saddle areas from the rooster situation (he's no longer with them), but the rest of them are totally feathered and fine. I've never really been through a molt before either, so I am not sure what to expect. I put some Blu-Kote on her bald spot and will give them some Rooster Booster in their food today. Any other suggestions? I see no signs of mites or anything else,.

Pictures? What you're describing sounds abit like rooster damage.

Some of my birds started molting last month.
Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures and am on my way out of town for a couple of days. It definitely started out as rooster damage, but they haven't been around once since the end of May. It just feels like it's starting to get a little worse, but it could be molting.

Pictures? What you're describing sounds abit like rooster damage.

Some of my birds started molting last month.
I was just thinking, I changed their layer feed to a lower protein (from 20% to 16%) due to prices. Could that be an issue? I'll have my dad give them some extra meal worms while I'm gone and switch back when I get home if that could be the problem.

Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures and am on my way out of town for a couple of days. It definitely started out as rooster damage, but they haven't been around once since the end of May. It just feels like it's starting to get a little worse, but it could be molting.
Pictures whenever you get back will be fine.

You'll know when they start molting, you'll see a bunch of feathers dropped on the ground, & hens with pin feathers. But everyone will molt differently.
20200614_144818.jpg

I was just thinking, I changed their layer feed to a lower protein (from 20% to 16%) due to prices. Could that be an issue? I'll have my dad give them some extra meal worms while I'm gone and switch back when I get home if that could be the problem.
I don't think it's the feed.

Pictures whenever you get back will be fine.

You'll know when they start molting, you'll see a bunch of feathers dropped on the ground, & hens with pin feathers. But everyone will molt differently.View attachment 3216059
That's kind of what's going on with her saddle area. I just see the pin feathers. Before it was just a bald spot. Now it's a bigger bald spot with the pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom